Learn to LOOP by doing exercises in the video!
What is it?
The first thing people will ask you when you say that you are doing a freestyle is whether you can Loop. Put simply, it is a front flip in a kayak which is one of the bigger breakthroughs and a dream point for all the kayakers. In ICF rules, we read, “Frontflip initiated and finished between a horizontal angle of 20° and 20°, landing in the hole or in the wave.” It is a move based on two ends, started and finished at forward set up. The move should be performed smoothly throughout the whole. That is the next intermediate move and one that most people lust for. It used to be part of rides for all elite kayakers and is a key for all aerial moves in the advanced category.
Step by Step
- Holding basic position push your feet hard into the seam line to get your bow under the incoming green water.
- As your boat starts to go vertical, start to lean back against the back deck, looking upstream and reach your hands towards the sky.
- Once the boat has got to close to vertical, throw your hands and paddle forwards in a half circle motion until your hands and body are in a fully forward position.
- Fold your wrists forward and then immediately lean all the way back with both your body and the paddle at the same time until you end up laying on your stern.
- As the boat begins to flatten out, come back to the basic position.
- Once your boat gets vertical, lean back looking upstream and reach your hands towards the sky.
- Throw your hands and paddle forwards, drawing a half circle forward with your hands and body going down directly into a leaning forward position.
- Roll your wrists forward and lean all the way back with both your body and the paddle at the same time until you end up laying on your stern. Come back to basic position.
Get your own copy of Freestyle Unlocked
Freestyle Unlocked is first book of the series. For this and more content buy your own copy of the book where you will find:
- Self-guided training tools that will teach you how to plan your sessions
- Insights on foundation skills
- Break down for preparation, initiation, execution and landing photos crossed with 3b concept of blade, body and the boat
- Most common mistakes and their solutions
- Top tips to take your trick to the next level!
You can buy the book at:
If you seek more how to videos see www.loveitliveit.co.uk/Unlocked/Freestyle