Learn to HELIX by doing exercises in the video!
What is it?
A 270º spin with at least 180° of which the boat must be inverted, aerial at some point. Once done fully aerial it is probably one of the most impressive moves to watch! Same as a flip turn, rhythm in Helix would better be described as ‘hop, skip’ like stone skimming on the water. The timing of the throw is instrumental in releasing the boat into the air. Unlike other moves, it is important to throw the move instantly as you do a main release.
Step by Step
- Set up at the top of the wave holding a stern rudder with the leading blade.
- Initiate a hop.
- While you are in the air from your hop, turn the boat at between 45-90° horizontally using a back sweep stroke, start drop your ear towards the face of the wave to wind up for the motion, but make sure the boat stays flat to the surface of the wave.
- As you are about to land on your main bounce aggressively pull up on your downstream knee to initiate the move.
- Throw your body under the front of the boat towards the starting position of a sweep roll on the secondary blade.
- Do a flowing, wide sweep roll.
- Complete the rotation into a front surf by smoothly transitioning your sweep roll into a stern squeeze.
Get your own copy of Freestyle Unlocked
Freestyle Unlocked is first book of the series. For this and more content buy your own copy of the book where you will find:
- Self-guided training tools that will teach you how to plan your sessions
- Insights on foundation skills
- Break down for preparation, initiation, execution and landing photos crossed with 3b concept of blade, body and the boat
- Most common mistakes and their solutions
- Top tips to take your trick to the next level!
You can buy the book at:
If you seek more how to videos see www.loveitliveit.co.uk/Unlocked/Freestyle